The counseling department of El Campo Middle School provides a comprehensive service to all students. These services are aimed at meeting the needs of students in the following areas: academic, learning, social, emotional, college and career. Along the path toward high school and beyond, the counseling department provides our students with a personalized and student-centered approach through individual and group guidance. In our supportive environment, students learn to identify goals, develop nonacademic strengths, talents, and interests. We believe it is our responsibility to build a foundation for learning by assisting students to develop self-respect, awareness of others, and positive attitudes toward acquiring knowledge.
In addition, school counselors
• monitor student progress throughout the year
• facilitate each individual student's placement based on identified student strengths
• sponsor programs to support student success
• meet with parent groups to strengthen the home/school partnership
• meet with individual students and parents regarding academic, personal, or social growth, helping students and their parents identify choices and possible consequences of these choices.
• develop and facilitate student groups as determined by the team and based on the academic, personal and social needs of middle school students
• present career education lessons
• provide conflict mediation services to students as needed
• interpret test data to parents and, on a need-to-know basis, to staff